Saturday, February 23, 2008

#54 Juliana's Viola

Juliana began studying the viola this week. She received the instrument as a gift for her ninth birthday. Her teacher, Ms. Song, sent this picture as a reference for Juliana to focus on correct posture.

I remember starting the violin when I was Juliana's age and being very eager to play a musical instrument. In my elementary school, you could start the violin in 3rd grade, but wind instruments you could not start until 4th grade. I tool the violin for one year then switched to the trumpet.

I am very pleased to see Juliana learning an instrument. Music was a big part of my life as a young person. I played the trumpet from age ten all the way through high school and college. My closest friends in high school were from band and I got to participate in regional bands and summer camps through various music programs. I hope Juliana also finds that kind of pleasure in developing the creative, technical, and social skills that come with being a musician.

No comments: