Saturday, March 15, 2008

#60 Clubhouse Poker

Friday night we had a poker game at the clubhouse in our housing complex. A neighbor and husband of a Caterpillar colleague, Jim, organized the game. Some of you have heard me lament this (and Kathleen rolls her eyes), but the thing I miss the most since moving to China is my monthly poker game with the Peoria neigborhood men. A group here in the Jin Shui Wan compound has gotten together a few times since we moved here last summer. Tonight was the largest turnout yet, with 11 people showing up to play and another handful of guys who stopped by for a beer and a visit.

Jim (pictured in white shirt) went to the clubhouse management in January and asked them about hosting "dǎ pú kè pái" at the clubhouse. They told him they weren't interested. He approached them again recently and took the approach of reserving the room. This time he did not mention cards and they agreed to host the "party" and staff the clubhouse as late as we wanted to stay. It is surprising that the guys running the clubhouse do not respond more enthusiastically to having some customers in the clubhouse bar and restaurant for a change.

We played "Dealer's Choice" all night where the dealer selects the game. The most notable game of the night came sometime after midnight with a round of "2-4 Drop". "2-4 Drop" is a 4 card progressive pot game where losers have to match the pot and the pot can double or even triple with each round. The game ends when all but one person "drops". There is a further twist when that one remaining person has to beat "the man" to win the pot. "The man" is euphemism for "the Deck" - i.e. the next four cards from the deck. I hit a low point for the evening (an perhaps a low point for all of my poker playing days) when I stayed in on a very big pot and lost to the man. I had three sixes and the man had three sevens ! This resulted in my paying hugely to double the pot and the whole group decided that the stakes had gotten too high and we needed to end this round. God forgive my gambling streak and occasional poor judgement. Nonetheless, I had a great time.

Credits to my friend and colleague Bill for the photos.

No comments: