Monday, January 19, 2009

#161 The iClub

Kathleen recently started going to a yoga class at a new health club nearby in SIP. Some months ago, I wrote a blog entry that whined about my current gym, the Powerhouse, which allows me to workout in the early morning (6:00 AM) but refuses to turn on the lights or the air conditioning. After visiting this new place, called the "iClub", Kathleen suggested that I check it out.

It is indeed much nicer and cleaner than the Powerhouse and even has a pool. But China is a different place and there seems to be no demand for a gym to open early in the morning before work. Both the Powerhouse and the iClub had their opening time set at 7:00 AM. People in China do not by any means subscribe to the "early to bed, early to rise" philosophy of the great Benjamin Franklin.

I made an appointment with the club manager and asked him if he would be willing to open the club at 6:00 rather than 7:00 to win mine and Kathleen's buisiness and probably a few more clients who want to work out and still go to work on time. He refused a couple of times, but after prodding from me, Kathleen, and Kathleen's yoga instructor, he agreed to open the doors at 6:15AM.

I have been going to the iClub now for several weeks and it is quite a superior workout experience. I would certainly recommend it strongly over the smelly, hot, dark, and dirty Powerhouse Suzhou. Nonetheless, since I started going about a month ago, I have yet to see another patron besides myself at the gym during the early morning shift. Strange place this China.

No comments: