Monday, February 22, 2010

#293 Mt. Luho

On one of those days that the wind died and my kiteboarding lesson ended early, I followed some signs to a scenic hilltop called Mt. Luho. Mt. Luho is only a few hundred feet above sea level, but offers a view of the entire island of Boracay and some of the nearby islands as well. Some local entrepreneurs have claimed the hilltop as private property and charge a dollar admission. For the same dollar, one is also able to tour the owner's very odd collection of wild birds and animals.

Along the way there were some great views and interesting chances to see some local people doing their thing. Above were three young girls walking home from school who offered to pose for a picture. All of the housing I saw was very lightweight construction to say the least. Exterior walls are made of woven palm fronds and many houses were perched on stilts, one even built in a tree.

One memorable part of the walk to Mt. Luho and back down to White Beach were the caravans of Chinese tourists driving rented ATVs and dune buggys along the road. I passed several large groups of these off-road vehicles. All of the riders had wide smiles on their faces and many waved or gave me the peace sign as they drove by. Also whenever I saw a Chinese couple together on a dune buggy, the man was in the passenger seat and the woman was driving. While I consider myself a modern man, I cannot imagine joining Kathleen on a rented dune buggy ride and wanting to be a passenger.

No comments: