Saturday, November 27, 2010

#345 Shanghai Half

This weekend I ran the Shanghai half marathon along with two of my co-workers and three neighbors. You can see me posing above with the three neighbors - Mike, Anthony, and Anthony. The race had an enormous number of people - over 20,000. You can see the picture above of the crammed starting line area. In fact, the crowd of runners remained dense throughout the 13 mile course.

I ran much of the way with my friend and co-worker, Paul - you can see him and I above standing on The Bund along the historic riverfront financial district of old Shanghai. The course was quite nice and we had wonderful weather for the entire race. The course starting on the west side of the river (Puxi) and proceeding through one of the tunnels to the east side of the river (Pudong). The tunnel was probably the worst part of the run. We were underground for at least 10 minutes. It was extremely hot and filled with the smell of thousands of sweaty runners. It was a glorious relief to emerge from the tunnel into the fresh (?) air and sunshine.

One highlight, as I neared the end of the half marathon, I was passed by the leader of the full marathon - a Kenyan running a two hour marathon pace. He ran more than twice as fast as I did for twice the distance ! Nonetheless, I met my goal of finishing in less than two hours. My final time was 1:58.

No comments: