Sunday, September 9, 2007

#5. Bicycle and Big Pants

As you might imagine, tasks that are easily done at home in the U.S. become challenging in China – at least at first. I ventured out at lunchtime on Friday for a trip to the dry cleaners and the barbershop.

I borrowed a bicycle from my co-worker, stuffed my dirty work closes in the basket, and rode a few blocks north to the cleaners. I was greeted there by two women who seemed amused to see a westerner arriving on a bicycle. As the woman behind the counter sorted my clothes, she held each pair of pants up high in the air and remarked on the size of the pants. The two women continue to express amazement as each pair was hoisted in the air and admired for their vast girth. Of course neither of them spoke a syllable of English, but the nature of their conversation was crystal clear. At least the price was good at 102 RMB ($13 U.S.) for five pants and eight shirts – though they probably charged me double for the huge pants.

Next stop was the Red Point salon. This was a more enjoyable experience. Unlike the dry cleaners, this shop caters to westerners with a list of services printed in English. I chose the shampoo, head massage, and haircut for a total of 48 RMB ($6).

The shampoo & head massage came from an attractive young Chinese girl. She fitted me with an Asian bathrobe (probably 8XL) and set me in the barber chair. I was surprised when the girl filled her palm with shampoo and began rubbing it on my head with no sink in sight. She proceeded to squirt a little water on my head and work the shampoo to a lather. Once fully lathered, she massaged my head and neck for over 30 minutes. It was one great head massage ! Afterward, they walked me to another room where they had the standard chair and sink combination that I expected to see for the shampoo. The haircut came out fine and the visit was a success.

All together, it was a gratifying excursion – though it did take two hours in the middle of the workday. Bicycling around Suzhou is quite enjoyable with dedicated bike and scooter lanes away from the car traffic. I will definitely go back to Red Point and I will learn next week how the dry cleaners does with my work clothes. God willing they do not ruin anything because I will never find clothing to fit me in China.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great story on the dry cleaners experience. I can only imagine.

How do you manage to take a 2 hour lunch? Bully for you! I guess it helps if your facility isn't built et. eh?