Sunday, June 8, 2008

#92 Trip to Beijing


Sunday morning after the Cazzato party blow-out, I had the challenge of getting up in the morning for a flight to Beijing for work. Feeling as I did, I would have rather thrown myself into Jinji Lake from the top floor of the clubhouse. That not being a reasonable option, I had no choice but take the hour car ride to Shanghai and the two hour flight to Beijing.

The trip was required to attend a workshop at Cat Asia-Pacific headquarters, shown above in the first picture. Caterpillar occupies three floors of the China Life Town in downtown Beijing. The building is distinctive because of the "witch's hat"-shaped structure on top.

I travelled with two people from my group, Catherine and Stanley. We just hired Catherine and she is my first Chinese employee. She seemed enthused for the workshop and is looking forward to her new job at Caterpillar.

After two nights in Beijing, we travelled by train to Xuzhou. We had some good Chinese food in the dining car of the train. After a day of meetings in Xuzhou, Catherine travelled on to Qingdao for a training class and I returned to Suzhou. Stanley stayed on in Xuzhou for two more days.

I left Xuzhou on Wednesday night and had a "Soft Sleeper" ticket on the overnight train. This was my first overnight train ride and it was interesting and novel. Each sleeper compartment has four beds and a door that closes. The bed was not so soft, and the motion of the train prevents deep sleep, but nonetheless it is a good way to go and something I think the family should experience. Perhaps soon we will try a weekend sightseeing trip to Beijing with the kids.

No comments: