Saturday, August 2, 2008

#101 Uncle Tony

Last week my Uncle Tony passed away. Though he was 84 years old, his death came as a bit of a shock. He was diagnosed with lung cancer just one month ago and was being treated. He apparently could not tolerate the chemotherapy and succumbed on Monday, Jul-21st.

Uncle Tony, born Untunuccio Cazzato in Tricase, Italy, was my father's brother, and the oldest of seven children. Like my father, he immigrated to the U.S. as a young man and spent the rest of his life as U.S. citizen. Also, like my father, he was a tailor and ran his own small business in Albany. He was married to my Aunt Ella for over 50 years and was deeply devoted to her. His loved spending time with his large extended family and he loved talking, eating, playing bocce, and dancing. Unfortunately he loved smoking as well.

He died the day before I was scheduled to return to China, so I was very fortunate to be able to attend the funeral. I delayed my China flight and went to Albany for a few days. While it was a very sad occasion, I was thankful to get to see my parents again and see nearly all of my family.

You can see Uncle Tony above in a picture from last summer with his youngest sister, Maria Assunta. Aunt Maria Assunta was visiting from Italy for the first time. As you can see in the picture, Uncle Tony was a healthy, active 80-something and, remarkably, never seemed to age. He was a good uncle to me and I am proud to be his namesake.

My prayers go out to Aunt Ella, my cousins Michael and Zemira, and all of his friends and family. God bless you Uncle Tony.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Tony-
I was at my sister's when I heard about your uncle and was very sadd for all of you. My mother was glad to see you , however briefly, at the wake.
I tried to forward a funnyish email from my cousin to you, but it was returned. If you have a sec, send me your address. dcd2929@hotmail.com and I will try again. Give my love to Kathleen and the gang. Keep blogging, they're informative and entertaining. -David De

Unknown said...

Post a Comment On: Cazzato Family Blog"#101 Uncle Tony"
1 Comment - Show Original Post


David said...
Dear Tony-
I was at my sister's when I heard about your uncle and was very sadd for all of you. My mother was glad to see you , however briefly, at the wake.
I tried to forward a funnyish email from my cousin to you, but it was returned. If you have a sec, send me your address. dcd2929@hotmail.com and I will try again. Give my love to Kathleen and the gang. Keep blogging, they're informative and entertaining. -David De