Thursday, May 14, 2009

#204 New Office

On Monday we moved into the brand new office space at the new Caterpillar factory. This office space is beautiful. There are many windows, many conference rooms, and a large spacious cafeteria (no food service yet). You can see my colleagues Catherine, Billy, and Frank above unpacking and enjoying their new digs. I have not quite gotten my boxes unpacked yet, but I am enjoying my new cubicle.

An interesting issue upon moving into a new building is that most Chinese people are very concerned about breathing paint fumes and other volatiles in a newly renovated space. I guess they don't appreciate the "new car smell" like we Americans do. The third picture above is in the newly painted stairwell near my desk. Pineapple is considered effective in absorbing unwanted paint odors. After three days, the stairwell has a pineapplely-paint smell now that is quite unique and distinctive.

It is great to be out of the "mamahuhu" temporary office and into the professional new space that is attached to the factory.

No comments: