Monday, February 22, 2010

#292 Kiteboarding

One of the activities that the boys and I planned to do this week was scuba diving. None of us has done this before and there are supposedly many great underwater spots to see in Boracay. There were certainly many scuba shops willing to take tourists out for a dive. Unfortunately, the day we planned to do this, Joseph woke up with a very high fever and upset stomach. His illness took him out of commission for a couple of days and scuttled our plans for scuba lessons.

Instead I broke away for two mornings and took some kiteboarding lessons at Bulabog Beach on the east side of the island. Bulabog is a world-famous windsurfing and kiteboarding locale. There were scores of people kiteboarding on the day that I went to check it out. Above you can see pictures that I wish showed me kite surfing and freestyling my way through jumps and turns on the board. Even though I have some experience sailing and windsurfing from graduate student days on Lake Michigan, kiteboarding turned out to be a lot harder than I expected.

After two days of lessons I had not developed enough skill to get up on a board and run down the coast like the guys above. Nonetheless, it was fun and challenging just learning how to keep the kite in the air and drag myself around the ocean. Someday I will tray again when I have more time and do not have to leave Kathleen alone to watch three healthy kids and a sick one at the hotel.

No comments: