Monday, June 1, 2009

#213 Yangshou Locals

We saw many interesting locals during our long weekend in Yangshou. I captured a few of the more colorful folks here.

The guys on the bamboo raft seem to be delivering flowers to a cave along the riverbank. The next woman is picking vegetables and loading them up on a bian dan for transport. Agriculture and tourism are the main industries in Yangshou.

We watched the next dude with two cells phones scream into both phones simultaneously while smoking a cigarette. He was part of the chaos that surrounded the bamboo boat launching site.

The kind-looking lady with the water buffalo demanded after I took her picture that I pay 5 RMB. I gave her 2 RMB and she gestured disapprovingly. Soon after, we encountered the next happy scene of four children in two bian dans. Though the smiled for the picture, these ladies also scowled and demanded cash. I gave each kid 1 RMB then ran out of small bills. The mothers (grandmothers ?) acted looked at me like I stole the kid's tickle-me-Elmo doll.

The child in the final picture is the two year old local tour guide. The son is relieving himself on the deck of the Shangri La tourist trap center in Yangshou as our driver holds him in place. We were within 40 steps of a rest room but this is the norm with small children in China. Kathleen reminds me that this is why we should take our shoes off when we enter the house.

No comments: