Sunday, June 21, 2009

#215 Trip to Peoria

I have been deliquent on blog writing for a couple of weeks now. The week before last I had a business trip to Illinois and had a good visit with friends in Peoria and colleagues in Decatur.

On a Monday afternoon I arrived at O'Hare and had a great time driving the 150 miles to Peoria. It was a beautiful day with blue skies and puffy white clouds. With English language music on the radio I was enjoying three simple things that I never get to see or do in China - cumulus clouds, listen to the radio, and drive myself.

My schedule included four days of work and meetings in Decatur and a day and a half in Peoria for some personal business. The days in Peoria were spent primarily on shopping to resupply items we cannot find in China - clothes, toiletries, medicines, Golden Grahams, playing cards, and kids' shoes. It is remarkable that I buy all of these "Made in China" items for premium U.S. prices and pay extra baggage fees to carry them back to China. You can see above a shot of the Peoria Target store for which Kathleen yearns.

Friday night I met up with my Peoria neighborhood poker group and had a great time catching up with friends and losing some money (U.S. cash for a change). Saturday night I had dinner with Greg, Margaret, and kids at the West Bluff coffee house called One World - a highly recommended local Peoria joint.

No comments: