Friday, September 11, 2009

#253 Chinese Lessons

I have now been taking Chinese language lessons for two years and you can see me above with Angela, my most recent teacher. Back in January, with the economic downturn and the cost cutting that came along with it, Caterpillar stopped paying for languge lessons for expats. When I had to start paying for lessons myself, I realized I couldn't afford the premium package I had before. I was fortunate to find a more affordable arrangement with Angela.

Angela is great (though Kathy, Annie, and Isabel, my previous teachers were also great). Angela is very enthusiastic and very encouraging through this very difficult pursuit. Chinese continues to be among the most difficult things I have every tried to learn. It just could not be more different and foreign.

Angela encouraged me to start learning characters and I can tell you, this is like trying to learn a third language while you are already studying the most difficult language on the planet. At the same time, as I have started to learn some Chinese writing, I am excited to start to be able to read parts of the signs and advertisements around town. I know maybe 100 characters. The only way to learn characters is through brute force repetition. You can see above my workbook where I am writing and rewriting the words for "dirt" and "he" which are quite similar characters.

Most of my colleagues who have been here for a couple years have given up on their Chinese lessons. I am not quite sure what keeps me going, but I suppose it is the occassions when I can make a Chinese colleague laugh or have a short conversation with our driver or a shopkeeper. I cannot help but think how much better my Italian would be if I had spent two years living in Italy. Nonetheless, I will continue to persevere if for no other reason than because I have put so much effort into it already.

1 comment:

Nisi-On-The-Net said...

Tony,

Congrats on starting to learn charaters. Lily Burton and I are going to start this process on Monday at Raffles. Wish us luck!

Angela was one of my teachers at New Concept Mandarin. I have heard lately that she is doing a great job still teaching expats in Suzhou. Please tell her I say 'ni hao'.

Anisa
(www.nisi-on-the-net.blogspot.com)