Sunday, September 13, 2009

#255 Canoe w Marco

Sunday was a beautifully sunny and cool day in Suzhou and I asked Maria, Marco, and Juliana each if they wanted to go for a paddle on Jinji Lake. All turned me down despite my arm twisting. As I was leaving the house to go alone, Marco had a change of heart and decided to go with me.

We paddled out near to Island A which now has the name - "Tao Hua Dao" which means "Peach Blossom Island". From there, we headed toward the Ferris Wheel and also saw the large boat that we watched being built during our first winter in Suzhou.

There are now tour boats running out to Tao Hua Island from the new Ferris Wheel amusement park. So we saw many more people on the island compared to when we explored it last year.

Marco and I spent about an hour paddling about and watched the sunset over the lake and the SIP financial district. It was a very pretty afternoon and Marco was in a good mood - especially when he was allowed to hold and manage the bag of boating snacks - Goldfish crackers, Diet Coke, and a single Tiger beer (for Dad).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tony, this is not about #255, but I just wanted to get in touch with you. I've been enjoying reading about your adventures in China & elsewhere.
It turns out that I will be visiting
Suzhou with my family as part of a China tour. We will be arriving on Oct 25, on a bus from Shanghai. The time & final destination is unknown. (leaving after breakfast). I want to ask you how to find the Catholic Church, but I don't know yet from where I'll be. I'm hoping to find out soon.
Stan.
stanlum@gmail.com