Saturday, August 2, 2008

#104 Maiden Voyage

Today was the maiden canoe voyage. My friend and neighbor, Patti, helped me carry the canoe to the boat launch in Jin Shui Wan. We drew a small group of interested spectators from within the compound club house. Within moments, I was off and paddling and having a terrific time.

I had delayed the launch until late in the afternoon because earlier today, there were high winds and whitecaps on the lake. I was glad that I waited because even after the wind died down, the comparatively small residual waves were enough to rock the canoe uncomfortably. My greatest fear, of course, is falling into the polluted waters of Jinji Lake. But I did not and it was a beautiful afternoon for a boat ride.

I made a direct course for one of the islands visible from our compound. The island was quite scenic and I saw many birds hanging out in the reeds on the island shore. There were also two people sitting on the shore of the island and I was very curious to know if they live there. I saw at least three buildings on the island, including the tall pagoda which is visible from all around Jinji Lake. On the way to the island, I saw a dozen people swimming in the lake ! After seeing that they were very much alive and happy in the water, my fear of falling in was lessened.

When I returned to the marina, my friends Bill's 12 year old daughter, Sonya, joined me for a speed run out to the new ferris wheel. They seem to be making rapid progress on the Xin Dai Guang Chang amusement park - the kids will love it when that place opens up. It is only a mile from our house (less by canoe).

So I am excited about the new paddling hobby. I think I will quite enjoy exploring the lake and canals of Suzhou and it seems to provide some form of exercise as well. It is a rare opportunity to live next to a lake and will be great to spend time on the water. I think the Cazzato children with enjoy it as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was nice seeing you while you were in New York. Your pictures and narratives were most enjoyable. What a life!!! Enjoy and be careful in that canoe...