Saturday, August 23, 2008

#116 Brides & Beach

I have a few more interesting pictures from my day in Qingdao. After the sailing event was over, I had a couple of hours until my flight to see some Qingdao sights. The tour guide on the spectator boat recommended a place called "bā dà guān" which means "eight big passes". I got in a cab and asked the cabbie to take me to bādàguān and he took me directly there.

I found nothing resembling the "eight passes" but there was an attractive beachside neighborhood of tree-lined streets and an old colonial residence called "The Granite House" built by a Russian aristocrat in 1930. From the top of the granite house I was able to see the beach, so from there I walked down to the water.

The most striking thing about this place was the number of brides and groom who were out having their pictures taken. Everywhere you turned, there were white dresses and white tuxedos, like I had stepped onto a movie set about 100 brides. I am not sure if it was a special day, or if every Tuesday afternoon in Qingdao is wedding picture day.

Finally, you can see a picture of Qingdao "No. 1 Bathing Beach". It was a short walk away from the Bride & Groom beach and appears to be a fine place to enjoy a Tuesday afternoon dip with a few hundred thousand friends and neighbors. I wonder how busy it is on a Saturday !

No comments: