Saturday, August 16, 2008

#110 Suzhou Scooters

Tonight as I sat and watched yet another China vs. China Olympic badminton match on Phillipine TV, neighbor and colleague Bill stopped by with daughter Sonja to invite me on a scooter trip to Cold Stone Creamery. This was really nice of Bill to think of me, as I was just sitting in the house thinking that I should get up and go find a way into town for something to eat.

Bill bought the first scooter some time ago for Sonja to cruise around the neighborhood on. Since that time his wife realized that it was handy to scoot around town when she needed to go somewhere and did not have the driver scheduled. Recently, Bill bought the second scooter so, as he put, they did not have to feel like prisoners on the weekend when the driver has the day off. They can move their family of three no problem with the two Chinese electric scooters.

Bill and Sonja rode on Bill's scooter to Rainbo Walk - according to Bill it has a top speed of 35 miles per hour. I rode Sonja's which tops out at probably 25 mph. It was quite a nice way to get around if, as Bill warned, you keep a close eye out for the crazy fools elsewhere on the rode and in the scooter lane. There is little evidence in China of traffic rules.

I chose the Coldstone Mango smoothie and Bill took some kind of Blueberry Madness ice cream. It was a fun time. Afterward, Bill and Sonja dropped me off at Xin Du Guan Chang where I had dinner at Mr. Pizza. With nothing else on the schedule, I decided to go to the Dragonfly Therapudic Spa for a two hour head, foot, and body massage. It was a good outing.

No comments: